Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Father's Day Gift

I do such a good job of coming up with thoughtful, handmade gifts for my Mom, MIL and Grandmother, but I'm sorely lacking when it comes to doing the same for my Dad, FIL and Grandfather. So, this is what I came up with for my grandfather for Father's Day. I knew he'd love to have a picture of the girls on his desk, but wanted to do something different than just a framed picture. So off I went to Home Depot for a tile.

You'll need:
  • A tile (I used a tumbled marble 6 x 6 tile)
  • Modge Podge (NOT the kind made for paper)
  • Cricut Vinyl and a Cricut machine
  • Or, rub ons (If you don't have a Cricut machine)
  • a small easel to display it

Here's how I did it:
  • I purchased a tumbled marble 6 x 6 tile from Home Depot
  • In Paint, I opened the photograph I wanted and re sized it down to approx. 3 x 5 or so. Then I printed it on regular paper to double check the size of the photo against the size of my tile to make sure it fit the way I wanted.
  • Next, I taped a piece of white tissue paper over the printed image. I then ran the sheet of paper with the tissue paper overlay back through the printer, printing the photograph onto the tissue paper.

  • I carefully peeled the tissue paper off of the printer paper, being careful not to tear it. Then, using scissors, I cut it to the size I wanted to adhere to the tile.
  • Using a foam brush, paint a thin layer of Modge Podge directly onto the tile
  • Put the tissue paper with the image right side up onto the tile. You'll have to be careful about placement as you lay the image down, because the tissue paper is so thin that you won't get a chance to reposition it without tearing it.
  • Smooth down the tissue paper.
  • Using the foam brush, paint a thin layer of Modge Podge over the tissue paper to seal it.
  • Wait for it to dry.
  • For the lettering and the embellishment, I used my Cricut machine and Cricut Vinyl. The lettering was done with the "Plantin Schoolbook" cartridge and the embellishment was done with the "Accent Essentials" cartridge. If you don't have a Cricut machine, then rub on letters that are found in the scrapbook section of your local craft store would also work.
  • Place it on an easel to display. You could also glue ribbons to the back of the tile that you could use to hang it.



Voila! An easy and cute gift!






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cute project. Guys are always hard to come up with gifts for, women are so much easier.

Leigh said...

That is a great idea! Thanks for posting the how-to.

Team Thompson said...

Seriously...you blow me away! :) Too cute and perfect for men.