Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Margarita Cake

My contribution for our Father's Day BBQ/pool party was dessert. We've got a lot of chocolate eaters in my family, but I wanted to do something different this time. I found this recipe in the local newspaper a couple of months ago and decided to try it. I modified it a bit, but it was *GOOD*! Plus, it was my first totally from scratch cake. I felt like a baking rockstar! Of course, I forgot to take a picture of it. Oh, well. I'll just have to make it again! :)

Margarita Cake
1/2 cup or 1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 lime, rind grated and juiced to make 1 tablespoon
Dickenson Lime Curd for topping (available at grocery stores). (I didn't use this)

For Lime Glaze
1/2 cup lime juice
2 teaspoons triple sec (I omitted since we were feeding kiddos, too)
1 teaspoon tequila (again, I omitted)
1 cup confectioners' sugar

For Lime Buttercream Frosting
1 cup softened butter
1/2 cup shortening
4 cups sifted powdered sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream
Lime glaze (recipe above)
2 tablespoons grated lime rind
Green sugar crystals for embellishment (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 Degrees. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter until smooth. Gradually add the sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and continue to beat. In a second bowl, sift flower, baking powder and salt together. Alternately add the flour mixture and cream into the egg mixture, starting and ending with the flour. Mix in the lime rind and the lime juice. Pour batter into 2 greased 8 inch cake pans and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Put on cake rack to cool completely.

To make the glaze: Mix the lime juice, triple sec, tequila and confectioners' sugar until smooth. (If not using triple sec and tequila, just mix lime juice and confectioners' sugar together) Set aside half to make the frosting. While the cake is still warm, slowly spoon glaze over the top so that all the liquid is absorbed.

To make the frosting: Cream butter and shortening in a large mixing bowl. Add confectioners' sugar and heavy cream. Add the remaining lime glaze. Mix well. Sprinkle in grated lime peel. Frost cake and top with lime curd (optional).

2 comments:

Gennifer said...

Yum! Sounds good... I love lime things. Is it tart?

Turtle Taylor said...

You can taste the lime, but I think the sugar tempers the tartness a bit. I think that key limes would make it much more tart.