Thursday, July 2, 2009

A Birthday Present for Grandma

I admit that I'm totally into handmade gifts lately. It's so much more fun for me to make something for my MIL than it is for me to go to the store and pick out another shirt or something for her. This is what I came up with for her birthday this year and just put it in the mail yesterday (about a month late - yikes!) This was an easy thing to make and turned out pretty cute, if I do say so myself!

Here's what you need:
  • Wooden plaque (available in craft stores)
  • Paint
  • A piece of metal (available at home improvement stores. Tip - make sure a magnet will stick to it!)
  • Magnets
  • Something to glue on top of the magnets (buttons, glass pebbles, scrabble board pieces, etc)
  • Strong glue (I used E6000 available at craft stores)
  • Letters (I used my Cricut machine, vinyl and the Alphalicious cartridge. You could use scrapbook letters, rub ons, or even small wooden letters)
  • Sawtooth hanger

Here's what you do:
  • Paint the board. Once the paint was dry, I lightly sanded the edges to give it a distressed look.
  • Adhere your letters. I used a T-square as I was sticking the letters down to make sure my lines were straight. Make sure you space your letters so that you leave enough room for the metal piece.
  • Place glue on the back of your metal piece and then glue it onto the board. I used clamps to hold it down until it dried, but you could also stack books on top of it to make sure that it adheres well.
  • Glue the magnets onto the decorative pieces (buttons, glass pebbles, etc.)
  • Turn the board over and attach the sawtooth hanger to the back so it can be hung. If you'd prefer, you could just set it on an easel.



No comments: