Tuesday, August 11, 2009

How to Make Tissue Paper Pom Poms

I'm always looking for inspiration for easy, cheap ways to decorate for parties (or for holidays). When I was on one of my many browsing trips at Michael's I saw this Martha Stewart Kit to make tissue paper pom poms. Cute idea, but the kit was $19.99! Say wha?! I love me some Martha, but she had to have been smoking some funny stuff when she came up with the price of that kit! So, if you love these and want to make some, save yourself the $20 smackers and read on!


What you'll need:

  • a package of tissue paper
  • tulle strips (pipe cleaners would work, too)
  • something to hang the finished pom poms with (I used tulle, but curling ribbon or regular ribbon would work, too)
  • a pair of scissors

I wanted to hang my pom poms from the chandelier above my dining room table, so I made mine half sized (I cut the sheets of tissue paper in half). If you want big, full pom poms, use the full sheet of tissue paper.

Here's what you do:

  • Separate a handful of tissue paper sheets from the bunch (I used as many as 8 and as few as 5 in one pom pom. Use more if you want a dense, full pom pom, but don't go too crazy and use the full package for one!)

  • Fold the tissue paper like an accordion. My folds were about 2 1/2 " wide.


  • Keep folding in the same manner until you've folded all of the tissue paper. You should have something that looks like this:


  • Now, you're going to take scissors and cut each edge. You can round the ends, or make it a point, whichever you prefer.



  • Now, tie the folded tissue paper in the middle. You want it to be snug, but not too tight. It's harder to puff it out if it's tied really tight.


  • Once it's tied, you're ready to poof! One piece at a time, separate the tissue paper from the bunch. You have go be gentle so it doesn't tear. Once you've got all the layers separated you'll have something that looks like this:


Tie a piece of ribbon or a tulle strip around the center tie and you're ready to hang them. The look so cute hanging from my chandelier that they are still there (and the party was over a week ago!). Take that, Martha! :)

1 comment:

Lorell said...

This must be one of the coolest themed parties I've ever seen. I'm sure your dd was over the moon. I really like your ideas because I actually think I could do them...LOL!