Monday, August 10, 2009

Rock Star Microphones!

What rock star doesn't have a microphone? Our Hannah Montana Rock Star birthday party wouldn't have been complete without sparkly microphones, so I made some for the party favors. I had backup favors for the boys because I wasn't sure 6 year old boys would like a glittery microphone, but how wrong I was! All the kiddos at the party loved them! (I've got a feeling a couple of the adults secretly wished for one, too!) They were relatively simple to make, and incredibly inexpensive. Make a bunch or a couple. Here's how you can make your own!

You'll need:
  • Styrofoam eggs
  • PVC pipe
  • Silver paint
  • Black spray paint for plastic
  • White glue
  • Bamboo skewers
  • Steak Knife
  • Disposable foam brush
  • Silver glitter
  • Hot Glue Gun
First, you want to take your steak knife and cut off the very tip of the Styrofoam eggs. Just saw through it like you would a steak until you've got one flat end. Discard the part you cut off.

Next, you'll want to cut your PVC pipe into shorter pieces. I enlisted Hubby for this task, but it's not hard. He measured and marked the PVC pipe and then cut using a small hand saw. At first we cut 12" pieces, but they seemed too long to me. 8" lengths of the PVC pipe seemed to be perfect.

Now you're ready to paint! These are the paints I used:


They came from Lowe's and were about $4 a can. I made 14 microphones and still have about half of each can left.
You'll want to spray the PVC pipes so that they are black and you can't see the black print that's on them. I did 3 coats, but I'm typically an overachiever. Two coats would have probably been plenty! Make sure you get at least one of the ends painted (the other doesn't matter since it will be inside the egg when all is said and done).

To paint the eggs, I stuck a bamboo skewer in each one and then twirled it between my fingers as I sprayed so that I could get coverage on the whole thing. Don't forget to get the bottom! I did two coats on the eggs.



Once the eggs were dry, I took them inside and used a disposable foam brush and covered them with white glue (I was pretty liberal with it). While the glue was still wet I covered it with silver glitter. Let them dry overnight. Tip: If you fill a sand pail with sand (or rice or beans) you can stick the skewers in it to hold the eggs upright while the glue dries.
When the eggs were dry and the PVC pipe was dry, I was ready to put the microphone together. In one hand hold the egg. Hold the PVC pipe in the other. Gently push and twist the PVC pipe into the flat part of the egg to make a hole the size of the PVC pipe. It isn't hard, but go slowly so that you don't damage the egg. Once you've got an indentation that is about 1 1/2-2" deep, put hot glue inside and then insert the PVC pipe.
I left mine plain, but if you wanted to you could put a Hannah Montana sticker on the handle or tie a ribbon to it.

I put all my finished microphones in a bucket on the party favor table. Cute!


There you have it - one fabulous rock star microphone . We (yes, we) have had a lot of fun with them in our house. Thank goodness there's no video evidence (yet!). Make some and you'll be a craft Rock Star!









6 comments:

Covered In Crafts said...

So cool! That looks like it was a blast. :)

Lorell said...

Such an adorable idea!! You have really been working hard...what a fab party this will be!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Thank you Thank you for sharing these! My daughter will be 8 next year and we are doing a rockstar party and I was looking for some ideas. These will be great! Thanks again :)

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

my daughter will love this. I am featuring this on somedaycrafts,blogspot.com in the next couple of days. grab my "featured" button.

Angie - treasuresfortots@gmail.com said...

GREAT idea! Excellent party favors too! Thank you for sharing!

b.a.s.h.ful custom event kits said...

this is great! i was feeling uneasy about spending $3.99 per microphone for 18 kiddos...so, this is a fantastic!! thanks!